Part of my recent break from blogging was due to taking some time off for a late honeymoon. My husband and I spent a week in Iceland. We loved had a great time but had a difficult time finding vegetarian options in Iceland. I’ve compiled a list below of veggie-friendly places we found in Iceland. If you would like to contribute to this list, pop me an email at jessica at closetoclever.com
Many restaurants we visited had no vegetarian options. Unless the restaurant is listed as a vegetarian restaurant, options listed here may be the only vegetarian options at each restaurant.
Vegetarian Food in Reykjavik
- Glo: three health food restaurants around the city with veggie options.
- Restaurant Reykjavik: High end dining with great lamb and seafood for meat eaters. Veggie options included nut roast (3290 ISK)
- Gardurinn: An all-vegetarian restaurant with a rotating cafe menu.
- Tapas Barinn: Tapas restaurant with vegetarian set course (4990 ISK)
- Hamborgara Bullan: Hamburger restaurant with veggie burgers available (850 ISK)
- Cafe Loki: Beautiful cafe with vegetarian platter consisting of greens, baked vegetables, quinoa, feta, pumpkin seeds and rye and flat breads (1950 ISK)
- Cafe Paris: Sunny and comofrtable upscale cafe with vegetable crepes and spinach pasta (both 2690 ISK)
- The Laundromat Cafe:Cafe and bar with children’s play area and washing machines on lower level. Vegeterian brunch, breakfast, sandwich and burger options available (1300-2090 ISK) (
- Tiu Dropar: Beautiful coffee shop. Icelandic pancakes, sweets and nice cheese and vegetable sandwiches.
- Kitchen Eldhus: Nepalese and Indian food with around a dozen meat free choices. Highly recommend the cahew nut curry (2390 ISK)
- Cafe Haiti: Harborside cafe with wonderful coffee. Veg options include couscous salad, quiche and vegetable lasagna (1390-1790 ISK)
- Fridrik V: Upscale restaurant service beautiful multi course meals paired with wine or local microbrews. Vegetarian options available with prior arrangement.
- Rub 23: Sushi and Japanese. Vegeterian sushi rolls (990-1990 ISK) (
Vegetarian Food in Akureyri
- Rub 23: Sushi and Japanese. Vegeterian sushi rolls (990-1990 ISK)
Vegetarian Food in Myvatn
- Hotel Sel Myvatn: This restaurant does set menus for guests. Specify during booking or when making dining reservations for vegetarian options. Meat free breakfasts and cafe lunch options were also available. Highly recommended.